Historic St. Anthony Catholic Church
258 Ohio, Wichita, Ks
2nd St. & Ohio
Two blocks east of Old Town
Sunday Mass at 1:oo
English/Latin missals provided. Join us for coffee and donuts after mass downstairs in the St. Clair/Sunshine room, south exterior basement entrance.
Pastor of St. Anthony Parish: Fr. Ben Nguyen
EFLR Celebrants: Fr. John Jirak, Fr Nicholas Voelker
Master of Ceremonies: Tony Strunk
Choir Director: Bernie Dette

Continuing News

+To submit an article or if you have comments contact me, Mark, at bumpy187@gmail.com.

Like us on Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/VeniteMissaEst?ref=hl

Did You Know

Mass Propers, the readings that change everyday, can be found in the red missalettes at the entrance of church?

Fr. Nicholas Voelker celebrates Low Mass Saturdays at 8:00 a.m., St. Mary's Catholic Church, 106 East 8th street, Newton. There is no mass this Saturday, January 30, 2016.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Post#135

Topics: Service To GodSt. Anthony Parishioners on Mission...On Behalf of All Souls: Total Consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary...Rorate Caeli Website: Purgatorial Society... Picture: First Communion...FSSP: Mater Dei New Parish Church...Masses for the Dead: The Use of Black Vestments...St. Mary's Parishioner: Creates Cathedral Models From Around the World

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

This Sunday, Feast of Christ the King, Msgr. Gilsenen will celebrate with us, however, there will be no incense used. Msgr. suffers from the smoke and since incense is optional anyway, we will accommodate him.

My story on Bernie Dette, (St. Anthony Choir Director and he of huge lung capacity) is still being written. Unfortunately, I write every week for class so it is hard to write for pleasure. Look for it coming soon. Bernie is an interesting fellow.

...and now the Necessaries

Please note: St. Anthony Catholic Church is one of two local churches celebrating the Traditional Latin Mass (EFLR) in the Wichita area. Though this blog is loosely centered around this parish and it's members, Venite Missa Est! is by no means, in any way an official voice of, or for, St. Anthony Parish or the Diocese of Wichita. Venite Missa Est! is strictly a private layman's endeavor.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

St. Anthony Parishioners on Mission
Picture Submitted by Larry Bethel

Here is a picture of St Anthony parishioners, the Odilio and Stacey Alvarez family who are  on a 2 year mission.
What dedication, bravery and true service. Please keep this beautiful young family in your prayers.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

On Behalf of All the Souls 
(Especially Those in Purgatory)
Submitted by James Spencer

On behalf of all the souls (especially those in purgatory) who will benefit from it here is information on two publications about the Total Consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, by which a person gives everything he can give away (including all indulgences he may gain for the rest of his life) to the BVM. With those indulgences she can bail souls out of purgatory immediately that otherwise might have spend decades or even centuries in that hell-like "halfway house."

Here are the two sources for information about the Total Consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Probably the better of the two is the book, True Devotion to Mary, by St. Louis DeMontfort, which should be available at any Catholic book store. The other is a pamphlet, Consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, by Rev. Nicholas A. Norman both listed here at corresponding websites.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Rorate Caeli Purgatorial Society 

Blogger's note: Some of you may follow the popular blog Rorate Caeli. They have started a prayerful society dedicated to praying for the souls of those departed. Below is their post on the subject.

Below (Rorate Caeli website), please find the fifth posting of enrolled souls of the Rorate Caeli Purgatorial Society. And, above, a kind reader created this document, printed it and hung it on his wall as a reminder to pray. I hope the quality is sufficient for those of you who wish to print and do the same. Please pray for these souls with a prayer provided below as well as for the now 10 holy priests who are praying the Traditional Latin Mass either weekly or monthly for the success of the Society and the repose of the enrolled souls.

A reminder on how to enroll souls: please email me at my address found in my profile on the right and submit as follows: "name, state, country." If you want to enroll entire families, simply write in the email: "The Jones family, Rome, Italy". Individual names are preferred. Be greedy -- send in as many as you wish and forward this posting to friends as well.

Also, if you run a blog or website, please consider letting your readers know about the Society as well by posting a link or short write-up. God knows there aren't enough people praying for these souls -- let's all join together and get the word out.

Please pray for the enrolled souls and the holy priests of the Society:

"For all the souls enrolled in the Rorate Caeli Purgatorial Society: Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May their souls and the souls of all the Faithful departed rest in peace. Amen."

Then ...

Eternal God,
please bless our priests,
who are selflessly saying Masses for this Society.
Make them more greatly aware of the grace
that You pour out through them
when they minister the sacraments,
and help them to fall more deeply in love with You
after each and every Mass that they celebrate.
Please strengthen our priests,
who shepherd Your flock,
when they are in doubt of their faith,
that they may be examples of Your Truth
and guide us always on the path to You.
We ask these things of You, our Eternal Priest.
Amen.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Picture at First Communion
From Mass from Maria's Perspective

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Mater Dei: A New Parish Church

October 25, 2010

by Taylor Marshall
From An Email  by Douglas Pechman

On October 9th, His Excellency Kevin Farrell, Bishop of Dallas, blessed our new parish Mater Dei Catholic Church for the Diocese of Dallas. While many of the parishioners have prayed for this moment for decades, our family greeted the day as newcomers. We have been members of the parish for only a few months.

My family and I entered the Catholic Church in 2006. Prior to our conversion, I had served as an Anglican clergyman. The liturgy that we had experienced in the Anglican Communion was generally reverent—kneelers, altar rails, chant, and ad orientem altars. After we entered the Catholic Church, we experienced a time transition in some Catholic parishes where the music tended toward the folk genre and where Holy Communion was received standing—two things quite different from our previous experience. Nevertheless, we were grateful to be fully Catholic, in communion with the Holy See, and recipients of all the prayers and blessings of Holy Mother the Church.

Several months ago, we decided to visit the local parish served by the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter (FSSP)—Mater Dei Catholic Church in Irving, Texas. The decision was not based on idealism or nostalgia. Nor did we seek it out in reaction to anything we had experienced. We simply attended Sunday Mass on a whim, and discovered that our family immediately felt at home. The first thing we noticed was that our five children behaved more reverently on account of the liturgical environment. As we began to attend daily Mass at Mater Dei and receive confession and spiritual direction, we immediately appreciated the committed priestly ministry exhibited by Father Thomas Longua and Father Philip Wolf.

Although we are relatively new to Mater Dei Catholic Church, we were as eager as everyone else for the church’s blessing. Day by day we stuck our heads into the church to find new construction, new altars, new pews, new confessionals, and new artwork. And when the day for the blessing finally arrived, the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass was stunning. Father Thomas Longua celebrated, Father Phil Wolfe served as deacon, and Father Flood served as subdeacon. Bishop Kevin Farrell blessed the building (he chanted all his parts in Latin), and His Excellency preached an encouraging homily about the need to evangelize our culture and teach the Catholic Faith in an era when many Catholics have not been rightly catechized.

Bishop Farrell’s words at the Mass and during the reception were very humble, kind, and beautiful. Everyone was grateful to have His Excellency present. A hearty thank you to Bishop Farrell and to the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Peter for making this parish possible. We thank Almighty God for the unique blessing of being part of an exciting renewal of Christ’s Church. Deo gratias!

Taylor Marshall is a former Episcopalian clergyman and currently a Ph.D. student at the University of Dallas. He is the author of The Catholic Perspective on Paul and The Crucified Rabbi: Judaism and the Origins of Catholicism. He blogs at Canterbury Tales {taylormarshall.com}. You may also be interested in his post: “Seven Reasons Why I Joined a Latin Mass Parish.”

You can visit Mater Dei Church here: https://www.materdeichurch.org/

Photos provided by Ron St. Angelo.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

On the Use of Black Vestments for Masses for the Dead
The New Liturgical Movement
BY SHAWN TRIBE

All Souls Day is fast coming upon us, and so I wish to continue our annual NLM tradition of using this occasion to appeal to our priests to use black vestments both for All Souls and for Requiems generally according to the modern Roman rite -- I specify the modern liturgy because in the usus antiquior, black is what is specified for these and so no appeal is needed, whereas in the rubrics for the modern liturgy, black, violet or white are permitted as valid options. [Note: I am speaking generally and excluding the specific consideration requiems for young, baptized children, where the tradition is for white to be used.] 

But why do so? At times in the past few decades, some individuals have attempted to make the argument that the use of black is contrary to Christian hope in the resurrection of the dead. Accordingly, some of these same individuals have agitated against the use of black -- even violet -- for these occasions, despite the Church's continued use of that liturgical colour. In response, I would point out that this is not a case of either-or, but rather one of both-and. While Christians are indeed a people of hope rooted in the resurrection, this does not invalidate the natural emotional response of sorrow or mourning, nor that fact that we are likewise to be aware of the reality of sin, death and judgement. Such awareness and reserve is simply that, an awareness and reserve which springs from a recognition of a genuine spiritual reality, and the mere fact of this cannot be equated with hopelessness or an insufficient hope in the resurrection of the dead. In point of fact, not giving adequate recognition to these realities is itself a problem.

If we look at the Church's liturgical year, we see how it brings with it times of feasting as well as times of fasting; it brings times of exuberance and joy and times of more sombre reserve, penance and mourning. The liturgies of Holy Week alone give a particularly condensed example of this. Each of these parts bring to bear and teach of particular aspects within their appointed times and on their appointed occasions, also necessarily understood in relation to and as part of the greater whole. The loss of any of these parts results in an incomplete picture. 

The use of black, which corresponds to the recognition of sorrow and mourning, sin, death and judgement, is one manifestation or part of this fuller picture. (And at this point, I would note this is being considered primarily within the liturgical and cultural context of the West.)

On a symbolic and theological level, the sombre and reserved tone of black vestments can be understood as a reminder of the sorrowful reality of sin (personal and original) and the reality of death which entered the world with the Fall. It manifests a kind of holy and prudent reserve. It can emphasize the reality of purgatory and the need for prayers which we should offer for the dead -- one of the seven spiritual works of mercy. By the same token, we, the living, are accordingly reminded of the four last things and the need to care for the state of of our own souls, working out our salvation. On a cultural and pastoral level, in the Western world black has a particularly strong association as symbolic of sorrow and mourning. Accordingly, black pastorally acknowledges and unites itself to the natural and perfectly normal emotional response to the loss of a loved one; of the sorrow which entered the world through sin and death. 

As a symbol then, the use of black speaks strongly and poignantly on a variety of levels and its use is therefore both meritorious and to be encouraged.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Parishioner of St. Mary's Cathedral Creates Cathedral Models

Bloggers note: I don't remember where I got this story but as of Oct. 30, Saturday the display was still in Old town, down by the Old town Warren Theatre

Wichitan Francis J. Hilger, a long time parishioner of St. Mary's Cathedral, has painstakenly recreated seven famous Cathedrals from around the world. From researched drawings, photos, and other information materials, Mr. Hilger spent 45 years recreating these Cathedrals in plaster. Based on 1/16 of an inch per foot, the replicas are indeed a work of art. The figures and icons were carved out of lead, using a pin as a chisel, then encased in molding clay with the impression filled with plaster. Mr. Hilger estimates he used about 500 pounds of plaster and spent over 25,000 hours to create his wonders. Interestingly one of the Cathedrals is Wichita's own St. Mary's Cathedral.

This will be the first time all seven Cathedrals will be on display at one location. Public viewing will be during Final Friday at Rock Island Studios 338 N. Mead in Old Town. Showing begins at 6:30PM.

There is no charge.

No comments: